Grants to support “the judicious restoration and repair of buildings of historical and antiquarian interest in Scotland, England, France, Spain, Italy, Germany and Greece but especially in Scotland”.
The Dalrymple Archaeological Fund was set up under the Will of James Dalrymple Gray of Dalrymple of Woodhead, Kirkintilloch, who died in 1908. In 1994 the Fund received a large bequest from the estate of Professor Gordon Donaldson, former Historiographer Royal, who was formerly a Trustee. In recognition of this bequest the name of the Fund was changed to “The Dalrymple Donaldson Fund”. The Fund makes grants from the income generated by these bequests and other sources.
The Fund (SC014803) is administered by a Board of Trustees – three of whom represent the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland and three of whom represent the Glasgow Archaeological Society. Additionally there was one member representing the Scottish Ecclesiological Society as long as it existed.
The present Trustees are –
Professor Ian Campbell, Chair Society of Antiquaries of Scotland
Dr. Anthony Lewis, Secretary Glasgow Archaeological Society
Mr. Dale Bilsland Glasgow Archaeological Society
Professor Richard Fawcett Society of Antiquaries of Scotland
Ms. Susan Hothersall Glasgow Archaeological Society
Dr. James H P Macaulay Society of Antiquaries of Scotland
Help us: champion research; stimulate discussion; enhance public understanding; and share our extraordinary heritage. Donate directly to the Society now.